EFIM GELLER vs MAX EUWE – Zurich Candidates, 1953
Usually, when we think about the best chess games, the choice is based on a spectacular sacrifice or exciting attack but today we make an exception.
We present you the game between Geller and Euwe played at the Zurich Candidates in 1953.
The opening is the Nimzo-Indian Defense: Saemisch variation.
In this game, Geller seems to gain the upper hand on Euwe but White’s attack is perfectly tamed by Black sacking the rook on move 22!!! The sacrifice of the rook is perfectly designed after Euwe played 11.Ke8: Geller fails to find the move to draw the game and falls in Euwe’s mating net.
We can call this game: best defense Euwe!
You can find the game below:
What you wanna do now?
- Play chess online
- Solve chess puzzles and train your endgame
- Follow my live chess streaming on Twitch
- Study my collection of the best chess games ever
- How to learn chess
- Watch chess videos on my Youtube channel
- The Polish Immortal
- Nunn’s Immortal
- Going for the mate!
- My passed pawns are too fast
- The smooth game
- Chess analysis #9: never resign and find the brilliancy!