OSSIP BERNSTEIN vs JOSE’ RAUL CAPABLANCA- Moscow, round 1, 1914
Capablanca’s favorite game is this one where he plays a perfect game from start to finish.
Today we present you the game between Bernstein and Capablanca played in Moscow in 1914.
The opening is the Queen’s Gambit Declined: Orthodox Defense.
The game seems to be a draw out of the opening but Capablanca creates an annoying passed pawn that stifles all Black’s pieces on the first ranks.
And the treat comes with move 27 where Bernstein captures this poisoned advanced pawn, thinking that with the rooks doubled he could exchange everything. BUT, Capablanca is going for the mate and Bernstein has to resign after losing a full rook.
You can find the game below:
What you wanna do now?
- Play chess online
- Solve chess puzzles and train your endgame
- Follow my live chess streaming on Twitch
- Study my collection of the best chess games ever
- How to learn chess
- Watch chess videos on my Youtube channel
- The Polish Immortal
- Nunn’s Immortal
- Going for the mate!
- My passed pawns are too fast
- The smooth game
- Chess analysis #9: never resign and find the brilliancy!
- Best chess games 2020 (3)
- Best chess games 2021 (2)
- Best chess games ever (41)
- Chess (3)
- Chess analysis (9)