ANATOLY KARPOV vs VESELIN TOPALOV – Linares, 1994
As we have already covered Kasparov’s Immortal, today we present you THE game played by his best rival in the 80’s and 90’s: Anatoly Karpov’s Immortal.
This is the game between Karpov and Topalov (too many Immortals for him! 🙂 ) played at the legendary tournament Linares in 1994.
The opening is the English Opening: Symmetrical: Anti-Benoni Variation Spielmann Defense.
In this game, Karpov sacrifices the rook on move 20 to open the kingside completely and start a fierce attack with all the pieces involved. Black is massacred after checks, captures, and a complete destruction of the king’s defense with its pieces unable to start any attack.
Karpov at his finest!
You can find the game below:
What you wanna do now?
- Play chess online
- Solve chess puzzles and train your endgame
- Follow my live chess streaming on Twitch
- Study my collection of the best chess games ever
- How to learn chess
- Watch chess videos on my Youtube channel
- Chess analysis #9: never resign and find the brilliancy!
- Chess slaughtering
- Festival of tactics
- The Magnus Effect
- Sacrificing the queen casually!
- Chess analysis #8: punishing mistakes like an engine!