JOHANNES ZUKERTORT vs JOSEPH HENRY BLACKBURNE – London, 1893
We continue the greatest chess games series with a game by another great champion, the second best player in the world in 1870’s and 1880’s: Johannes Zukertort.
We present you the game between Zukertort and Blackburne played in London in 1893.
The opening is the English Opening: Agincourt Defense.
In this game, White exploits the passivity of Black’s pieces by attacking the kingside diagonally. On move 22, Blackburne should retake the pawn with the queen however he captures back with the knight. The game is now lost as Zuckertort grabs all the pawns that protect black’s king, offers his queen on move 28 and force Blackburne to take his rook to fall into the mating net.
This gem is indeed considered Zukertort’s Immortal game.
You can find the game below:
What you wanna do now?
- Play chess online
- Solve chess puzzles and train your endgame
- Follow my live chess streaming on Twitch
- Study my collection of the best chess games ever
- How to learn chess
- Watch chess videos on my Youtube channel
- The smooth game
- Chess analysis #9: never resign and find the brilliancy!
- Chess slaughtering
- Festival of tactics
- The Magnus Effect
- Sacrificing the queen casually!